Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rainbow Brite

Spring 30 for 30 - Outfit 22
Banana Republic Top (similar)/ NY&Co. Skirt/ Steve Madden Shoes from DSW (similar)
When I was little, I watched a show called Captain Noah and His Magical Ark. The show was run by Captain Noah and his wife Mrs. Noah and featured puppets, celebrity guests, and two key songs - Send Your Pictures to Dear Old Captain Noah and I Can Sing a Rainbow.

I loved both songs. I would draw tons of pictures to send to Captain Noah and still know all of the words to I Can Sing a Rainbow (although this was troublesome when I had to learn the color spectrum in 11th grade and thought the colors went in the order they were sung in the song - red, yellow, pink, green, purple, orange, and blue rather than ROYGBIV - who knew pink wasn't even on the spectrum!?).

Since Captain Noah, I have also been drawn to bright colors, wearing tons of neon in the 80s, mismatched bright colorful socks during my grunge-hippie phase (yep, I actually went through one of those), and now I am 100% behind the color blocking trend that seems to be all the rage this season.

Still, there are a few tips to follow to get a good color-blocking look without looking like a circus clown:
  • Team colors from the same family together for a harmonious look
  • Keep warm tones together
  • Go for a neutral-toned shoe to keep it simple
  • Enliven neutrals with neons
  • Work regal purples in with contrasting, fiery oranges (see above)
  • Try lime green with melon or rosebud pink for a pleasantly jarring combination
  • Work accessories into the mix. Select a contrasting shoe or handbag.
  • Aim for an outfit featuring different shades - three or four if you want (five and beyond is bordering on circus clown)
Messy Jess C.

Love Messy Jess C? Then don't miss it on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

3 comments:

  1. This colorblock look is wonderful on you, Jess! It's an unexpected color combo but yet it totally works!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo love this color combo Jess! That blouse is gorgeous!

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassidy! Since wearing that outfit, I have been seeing more and more of this color combo. It's a great way to brighten up a gloomy day. Hope you had a great holiday weekend with your family!

      Jess

      Delete