Tuesday, April 10, 2012

New Recipe: Honey Chicken Salad (Mayo-Free)


Every Passover I crave chicken salad to put on my matzo (I have never kept kosher so the meat and dairy mixture isn't a problem for me). I don't ever crave it the rest of the year, which is odd. I think it's because I am finicky about my chicken salad. I don't like when it the mayonnaise overpowers the chicken because, besides ketchup, mayonnaise is my least favorite condiment.

Most years I pick up pre-made chicken salad from the store and hope that it's not too mayonnaisey. Usually Whole Foods Curry Chicken Salad is my Passover go-to, but because I have decided to become a better cook, I decided to make my own this year. I also found a mayo-free chicken salad recipe on Iowa Girl Eats (Heather, get excited! ;-)) that I was excited to try.

Made with Greek yogurt and Dijon mustard, this turned out deliciously and is much healthier than the standard mayo version. It also only took a few minutes to make, which is a major plus. I encourage you all to test this out for yourselves.

First, poach the chicken breast in boiling water until cooked all the way through, about 6-7 minutes. Because I am always worried about cooking chicken all the way through, when I make this again, I will probably use a roast chicken to make it even easier (and tastier?).
While the chicken is cooking, cut up two stalks of celery, cut 3/4 cups grapes in half, and measure out a 1/4 cup sliced almonds.


Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove to a plate and let cool slightly, then shred by hand. Mix with red grapes, celery, and almonds.

Next, stir together 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1-1/2 tsp. honey, 1-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper to taste.





Add to chicken mixture and mix well, then season with more salt and pepper if needed.


Serve between toasted bread slices, on a salad, in pita bread, scooped with crackers and fruit, or matzo if you too are celebrating Passover this week.


Check out this and other tasty recipes on my What's Cookin' page.


Messy Jess C.
Love Messy Jess C? Then don't miss it on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment