Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Favorites

What are your plans for the weekend? Jesse and I are looking forward to seeing our friends Matt and Jenee (authors of Cider Revival) for the finale of Operation Amerithon, a charitable run by Matt's friend Albie Masland to support fallen heroes and disabled veterans that began on March 17th in Dana Point, CA and wrapping up in our nation's capital. Hope you have a great weekend. Here are some fun links from around the web...


When I was six, I came home from school and made one of my earliest attempts at curling my hair by wrapping my hair up in a comb. It didn't work. My hair got stuck and when my mom called me down to dinner I panicked and cut the comb out of my hair, leaving me with some seriously messed up bangs. When I got downstairs, my mom asked me what happened? I told her a girl at school did it, which didn't make any sense since I came home from school with all of my hair intact. Turns out, I'm not the only young hairdresser out there. Check out this interview by an NPR journalist of his two little girls about the "worst haircut ever." This may be the cutest thing I have ever heard.


Have you noticed how hard it can be to make close friends after college, with the exception of you all of course? Check out this article from the New York Times that explores why.


Check out this fascinating article if you feel like you are too busy. Turns out, you may not be as busy as you think. I think this article was written for me.


How many times have you found yourself walking down the wine aisle of the grocery store figuring out which bottle to buy that won't cost you an arm and a leg but also won't taste like alcoholic grape juice (sorry manischewitz)? Wander no longer and instead check out Vivino, the wine app for "normal people."

Has this ever happened to you? You are moving or cleaning out your place and you end up with boxes of clothes, books, appliances, and furniture but you have no idea what to do with it all? Don't fret my pets. Check out Apartment Therapy's list of 25 places to donate your stuff. On the other hand, if anyone knows a place I can donate nearly full bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and other toiletries, please let me know. I would feel a lot better not having hundreds of dollars spent on beauty supplies go to waste.

At this point in the year, most of you know of my goal to save more and spend less. I admit, some months are better than others, but with the help of these two articles from Get Rich Slowly on The Politeness Tax, of which I am definitely a repeat offender, and Saving for a Big Purchase I can feel a bit better about a current habits, amend my future habits to save for the important stuff, and hopefully be helpful to those of you with similar goals.


Check out these delicious back to school cookie recipes from Inside BruCrew Life. If Jesse works hard and gets along with the other medical students, I may consider testing out a few of these recipes for him.


If you like spicy food as much as Jesse does (he seriously puts Tabasco sauce or Sriracha on everything), you may want to take this Dragon Noodle recipe from Budget Bytes for a spin. The best news? It only will take 15 minutes of your time and cost you $2.04 for the entire recipe.


With the exception of $!utty Brownies, I'm not sure it gets much better than these Nutella-Salted Shortbread Brownies from Bake or Break.


Not the best transition from brownies, but you may know from this post that I am back on the workout and healthy eating train. Hopefully the Get Fit series from Style and Pepper will help me on my endeavor.


How cute is this DIY Play Grill from Apartment Therapy? Since we don't have a grill, maybe Jesse will help me make one of these instead?

My favorite styles of the week:

Closet Fix
The Concrete Catwalk
Joe's Jeans from shopbop.com
 Finally, our family friend and neighbor is a super talented artist and she just got her website up and running. Check it out here.



Happy Weekending! See you all next week. XO
Messy Jess C.
Love Messy Jess C? Then don't miss it on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment