Tuesday, March 13, 2012

New Recipe: Slow Cooker White Chili

One of Jesse and my favorite places to go for dinner is Whole Foods. I am not joking, we average at least one dinner per week at Whole Foods because the food is tasty, fairly healthy, and driving to Whole Foods is easier than cooking on nights when we get home later than expected or when we are feeling lazy and don't want to cook and clean up after dinner.

Last week Jesse wasn't in DC, so, as you may have noticed, although I had high hopes, and lot of good looking recipes in the queue, I didn't end up cooking too many meals (unless you count $!utty Brownies as a meal, which I do). Instead, and I am not proud to admit this, I reverted back to a lot of microwaving, toasting, and two nights of Whole Foods dinners.

During one of my Whole Foods trips, I picked up the Whole Foods newsletter that highlights the deals of the month, but also includes a few recipes. I was looking through the Super Bowl newsletter that included a lot of party-related recipes including one for a tasty looking Slow Cooker White Chili.

Since our slow cooker is small, we cut the recipe in half, used one green pepper instead of a poblano pepper, and used chicken breasts instead of thighs. We also ended up with two large containers of chili even with the recipe cut in half which will supply us with another hearty meal sometime soon.

In all honesty, I like our slow cooker turkey chili recipe better. The ingredients are tastier and it has a better overall flavor. Still, this is a healthy chili option and easy to make.

First, arrange the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker (I highly recommend using slow cooker liners which makes clean up a lot easier).


Top with beans, corn, poblanos, cauliflower, onion, broth, cumin and chili powder.


Cover and cook on low until beans are very tender and cauliflower has fallen apart, about 10 hours. Stir in sour cream and salt, ladle into bowls and serve.




Love Messy Jess C? Then don't miss it on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment